FREELANCING AS A DATA ANALYST ON UPWORK

 In today’s blog, I’ll be writing on how I started freelancing as a data analyst.

Photo Credit: Google

Early this year I got introduced to a freelance site called ‘Upwork’ (https://www.upwork.com). That was my first time hearing about it and in recent times, I discovered that there are still some people who have not heard of it.

Freelancing is another way to sharpen your skills and earn money while at it. There are other freelance platforms other than Upwork but I personally feel Upwork is one of the best.

I’ll be sharing my personal experience as regards the topic and key points to bring out.

After I got introduced to it, I decided to give it a try. I created an account, customized my profile and started writing proposals upon proposals with no feedback. This got me frustrated and I stopped.

Later in the second month of the year, I decided to write a proposal for a job that was uploaded and voila, I got an interview message unexpectedly. This did a whole lot for me because it was my first real-life project to work on and I got to practice all I had learnt.

Key Points:

  • Most jobs on Upwork requires someone with experience which I didn’t have at the time.
  • Some jobs wants people from a specific location. If this is stated in the job posting, I’ll advice you not to waste your connects by applying.
  • A good proposal writing catches the attention of some clients which can nullify the “having experience” factor. (This happened in my case).
  • If you have a great portfolio relating to the job description, you can attach it after writing your proposal cover letter before applying.
  • When writing your proposal, make the client know that you will communicate your progress during the job to them and assure them of being able to meet deadline whilst doing a befitting job.

P.S: You can check out this YouTube video of Qasim Bhatti who became a top rated Upwork freelancer as a Data Analyst in four months via the link below. The tips shared can put you through on how to become a successful freelancer on Upwork. His Upwork profile name is “Qasim B.”.

https://youtu.be/sQnG6XiFfLE (link to video)

My little advice for you is to keep trying, don’t get frustrated and never give up. Just keep pushing.

Buy me a coffee

Back to top